Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thank goodness for Smoke Detectors and Sump Pumps!

I have 4 different melt pots for my wax - One is a great big turkey fryer - the others are presto pots. I have had the presto pots a long time and had issues with the temp control cord/ probes before (and have 2 pots now that I have had to share one cord which can be a "pain"). Last night suddenly my smoke detectors went off - and when I ran downstairs my presto pot that I was melting wax in was smoking up a STORM! I quickly unplugged, added more wax to cool it down and opened all the windows. It was a little scary! I just found a site on line and ordered 2 new sets of cords/ temp controls. *Whew* I don't want to think about what might have happened if I hadn't gotten to that when I did!

Now today it's raining- pouring! - on top of what was 2 feet of snow - we even had thunderstorms last night. It's around 50 degrees and now about half the snow is melted. When my house was built my builder put in a sump pump and drain tile. If you stand downstairs right now it sounds like there is a stream running under the house! The sump pump is pumping water out about once every minute. I can't (and also don't want to) think about how much flooding I would have down there if I didn't have that!

So today I am very grateful.... to say the least! Now if I could only figure out how my mail carrier is going to pick up my packages while my (unpaved) driveway is still solid ice!

5 comments:

Heathen's Hearth said...

Oh no!! Good thing that sump pump is there. I'm glad nothing really drastic has happened!

Sweet Surrender Candles said...

Thanks! and now I am super paranoid careful with my pots till I get new cords! Also determined to move somewhere warmer next year!

Lona said...

Wow--too close for comfort!

My dh (a part-time firefighter) calls turkey fryers "garage burners", because so many of them start the garage (where people are frying their turkeys) on fire. So I first thought this was going to be about the fryer.

Anyhoo--so glad that the sump pump and the smoke detectors work!

Sweet Surrender Candles said...

I keep my turkey fryer at a much lower temperature than you do with turkeys - just needed it for it's size! :)

PitBullLadyDesigns said...

Wow!!!

Glad you are safe and dry!